Friday, December 3, 2010

dolichocephalic skull - Things Learned while reading "The Hound of the Baskervilles" - Sherlock Holmes

A hundred years apart | Flickr - Photo Sharing!: "A hundred years apart


photo

A hundred years apart

My father was not a man given to personal revelation. Indeed, vast areas of his life have always been a closed book to me. Naturally this had the effect of arousing my curiosity. Let's be honest; nobody likes to be excluded from a secret. Consequently, as a small boy I was always rummaging in the cupboards and drawers of my parents' bedroom, looking for clues, or "prying into his affairs" as my father would doubtlessly have regarded it ...with justice, I suppose. Curiosity is natural in childhood and I think most children go through a phase ("What's this thing, Mummy") of investigating parental belongings. But in my case, because this natural propensity was forbidden, it became negativised and furtive. So, when I see this photograph, there is always a little guilty twinge somewhere that tells me I ought not to be looking at it. I discovered it in the bottom of a suitcase which my father kept beneath his side of the parental bed.
There was no doubting for an instant who this was, for, in the heavy countenance and dolichocephalic skull

No comments:

Post a Comment